Resources' Custom Data Fields
By creating custom data fields you can easily group your resources by custom values such as location, department, skillset and more. There's also existing field types: text, number, date, user, link. We will use 'List of values' as it's the only one to create custom resource groups. It helps you to categorize your resources and add specific data to them. To have a quick overview, you can later filter resources by these criteria and even save it to a view.
Must-know about this featureUse custom data fields to add information to your resources. If you add a data field to one resource, the field will appear in all of the resource dialogs. However, you have to add values to custom data fields to each resource individually. List type of custom data fields can be used for grouping resources.
Create a custom data field for resources
- Click on the title of any resource This will open the resource dialog.
- Click '+' icon in 'Custom data fields' section This will allow you to add a custom data field.
- Give the data label a title The title will appear in all of the resource dialogs.
- Select a field type from the list We'll use 'List of values' as it's the only one for creating custom resource groups. Resource groups are a great way to have a better overview of your resources by different parameters they have. For example, if you are taking on a new project and are wondering if your designers have enough free time, a custom data field with a skillset is what you need.
- Hit 'Enter' on your keyboard for another 'NEW VALUE' box to appear That way you can add values to the list you can later choose from.
- Click 'Save' upon completion You'll be back in the resource dialog where you can see the new data field.
- Select a value from drop-down/add a link or a date/write the value in the textbox The type of data you can enter depends on the field type you have selected.
- Click 'Save' upon completion The data you have entered applies only to the resource you added the data to.
- At the top of any view, click on the view parameters icon This will open the options for the view.
- Select a value/group from the menu The groups are created using "List type" custom data fields and projects.
- Your resources are now grouped accordingly