Tasks' Custom Data Fields
IntroductionThe magical custom data fields! As you might know, you can add almost any kind of data to your resources and projects. Tasks are no exception. Since we know you schedule all sorts of assignments and bookings using the resource planning tool, we also know that all these tasks need different data to go with them. Using custom data fields, you can add links, connect users to tasks, add numeral data that you can later use in reports, add simple text values for comments etc or add list-type custom data fields for tracking task status and coloring. So yes, you do have quite a lot of options to choose from. If you are importing data, you can also import custom data field values but the fields have to preexist in Ganttic.
Must-know about this featureFor taskbar coloring, add list-type custom data fields. After you have added a custom data field to one task, the label will appear in all of the task dialogs. You still do have to add values to each task separately.
Add a custom data field
- Click on a task This will open the task dialog.
- Click on '+' icon in 'Custom Data Fields' section This will enable you to add a custom data field.
- Type in the field title and select the type of the value List of values will allow you to set a color for your data, useful for grouping purposes.
- Add values to the list If you chose another data field type, you are done and can click on 'Save'.
- Type in one value at a time and click on 'Enter' You can edit the values later.
- Tick 'Show value on taskbar' to see statuses in text on the taskbar Otherwise, you can only see the value once you open the task dialog.
- Click on 'Save' once you are done You will be redirected back to the task dialog.
- Select a value for the task in the custom data field drop-down menu Click on 'Save' upon completion.
To rearrange the values, drag them up or down from '+' on the left of the value. To remove a value, click on the 'x'.
- Remember to add values to other tasks as well.