Resource Capacity Planning
Utilization planning can be almost as important as Resource Planning itself. As a manager, you have to make sure that the Utilization of your Resources is optimal in short- and long-term. Ganttic is a Resource Planning tool that features Resource Utilization percentages that are calculated according to the time period that is open in the Gantt chart area, Capacity Utilization Graphs that indicate the Utilization in a time period visually according to the rules that you have set, and Resource Group Utilization percentages that reflect the Utilization of your Resources per groups that you have created using Data Fields. In addition to that, Ganttic features Task Timing tools that you can combine to plan Tasks the way that makes the most sense for you.
Capacity Utilization Percentages
- Resource Utilization Resource Utilization percentage is calculated according to the time visible time period in the Gantt chart area.
- Resource Group Utilization
For each Custom and/or Project View you can also choose to display Resources' scheduled hours or available hours or hide them completely.
Available time for visible time period:
Scheduled hours for visible time period:
All information hidden:
To access these options head over to the View's "Visibility Settings" section.
Task Timing Tools
- Start and end dates & times
- Duration The number of Days and Hours your Task is planned to take. Insert Task Duration in days and hours, add Utilization % and the End Date and Busy Time will be calculated for you.
- Busy Time The number of hours and minutes of the business hours the Task is planned to take. Using the Busy Time to plan Tasks is useful if, for example, you want your Resource to be busy with a Task for 40 hours but you want the Utilization to be 50%, choose a Start or an End Date and the rest will be calculated for you.
- Task Utilization The percentage of business hours the Task is planned to take. As explained before, Task Utilization percentage represents the number of business hours the Task is planned to take. Use Task Utilization percentage to optimize concurrent Tasks and to make priorities.
- Used Time Actual time spent on a Task.
You can insert Task Duration in Days and Hours, add the Utilization and End Date and Busy Time will be calculated for you. For example, if you know that the Task is supposed to start two weeks from now on a Monday, and it's supposed to take 45 days, plan by Duration. If you know that the Task must be finished within two weeks, toggle the switch between the Start and End Date, and the Start Date will be calculated for you accordingly.
Multiple Used Time entries (with description) per Task is enabled. This helps to track the total time spent on a Task both numerically and visually (i.e completion rate). See here for details.